It’s been over a year since we purchased our GA house and I’m still nesting. It takes time, but hopefully I have some time left in me. I was at my happy place recently (HomeGoods) looking for something in particular, but you know how it goes: you stumble upon something you didn’t know you needed.
They had a whole section of ‘wine related’ items that drew me in like a 13 year old girl to sparkles. I saw this unusual wooden sign, picked it up, half read it, looked at the back and realized it was made out of a wine barrel. I thought to myself, Hmmmm….I’ve never heard of this phobia, but I recall having a conversation with my girls about phobias before and there are a lot of I phobias haven’t heard of.
I bought it thinking it would be great at the wet bar on the terrace level of our house.
I had it sitting on the counter for a few days and my Aunt Trisha casually said to me: That sign is too funny, I love it!
I was JUST ABOUT to say to her: I know, I’ve never heard of…and then it dawned on me.
SOUND IT OUT SUZANNE!
NO VINO PHOBIA.
This wasn’t a bonafide medically referenced phobia.
But I am affected by it.
I should be more affected by BlondeMomentPhobia because those are not so rare.
Are you embarrassed to know me? I mean, that was a humdinger of a blonde moment
And speaking of REAL phobias, here are the most common phobias:
- Arachnophobia (Fear of spiders)
- Ophidiophobia (Fear of snakes)
- Acrophobia (Fear of heights)
- Aerophobia (Fear of flying)
- Cynophobia (Fear of dogs)
- Astraphobia (Fear of thunder and lightning)
- Trypanophobia (Fear of injections)
- Social Phobia (Social anxiety disorder)
- Agoraphobia (Fear of a situation where escape may be difficult)
- Mysophobia (Fear of germs)
- Claustrophobia (Fear of small spaces)
- Glossophobia (Fear of public speaking)
I didn’t think I had any real phobias, but some of them affect me in a mild way. Not life altering, but small worries if you will.
1. Aside from Daddy Long Legs most spiders weird me out; DLL’s are common at our house and I have no issue with carrying them outside, but regular spiders? You dyin’ today.
2. At home, we have a lot of black racer snakes and they don’t scare me. Although trying to get one off the pool lanai does prove a challenge. In GA we have copperheads and they are plentiful; they can be very dangerous to humans and pets. I have a very big fear of them while in GA walking the dogs.
3. Not a fan of being up high, but I do it when necessary; you know to change a lightbulb or dust a fan.
4. Coincidentally, my fear of flying is always quieted when my is Novinophobia taken care of. A glass of wine while flying always gives me that feeling of: ‘hey, if we crash, it’s been a fun!’
12. If I know I have to speak in public, I become very nervous prior. It could be at a group meeting or introducing myself to a large group of strangers. Generally, I’m a great conversationalist, but if I know ahead of time that I’m gonna have to address more than 10 people, I’m a hot mess.
One fear that I’m afflicted with but couldn’t find a name for: ThingsLikeLaddersOrLogsFlyingOffTrucksAndSmashingThroughMyWindshieldaphobia.
Do you struggle with any of the top phobias or something different than what is a common phobia?
Are we still friends after I admitted to not really reading
comprehending the sign in front of me?
Signed, your novinophobic friend Suz