*I’ve started this post at least four times in the last few weeks, but it was becoming a too-long-for-me post.*
I’ve been putting off on updating everyone about Lillie’s lump. Mostly because it’s a long, drawn out ordeal that includes
four, no, SIX seven, doctors appointments in the last month or so. After lot’s of tests, biopsies, ultrasounds, etc, she has a Mast Cell Tumor. Thankfully it has (at least as of two weeks ago) not spread to her lungs, spleen or liver which would be fatal. We are having the tumor surgically removed tomorrow. When we first started on this journey, it was a small, indiscreet lump that has now grown faster than the random hairs on my face.
At first I took her to my regular Veternarian, but it was actually the Fill-In Veternarian and I had almost zero faith in his ‘guessable’ diagnosis. So, since then I’ve been to a Vet Group that has all the specialists in one office which I thought would be great because One Stop Shopping; they can do ultrasounds, biopsies, X-rays all right there. The trouble is, they are all part time in that office, so getting things done in a timely fashion is almost unheard of.
All this waiting in between is making me nuts because this tumor is growing fast.
~I failed to mention that a few days after the first visit with the internist who took cell samples, her lump started to bleed. And bleed. We were trying to use an ace bandage with gauze underneath to stop the bleeding. That didn’t work great. We resorted to using her Thunder Shirt with guaze underneath and that wasn’t much better. I’d put in a call to the internist for help on Thursday after she worked on Lillie on Monday, but of course, she was gone and would not be back into the office until Tuesday. Did you know that Lillie sleeps in the bed with us? Two mornings, we woke up to what looked like a crime scene on our white sheets. We could not get the bleeding to stop for several days. *sigh*
After about a week, the bleeding finally stopped. For the time being.
On Saturday morning she was restless, wouldn’t eat and was shivering; with my not-so-real Doctors license I decided she had a fever. I took her to my regular Veternarian and luckily, it was the ONE Veternarian at that office who I have a lot of faith in. He said she had a mild fever, but her skin/tumor was infected as it was bleeding again. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and some mild pain reliever to use for the next few days.
Later on Saturday and onto Sunday this thing would not stop bleeding. We would take turns just holding her with gobs of paper towels, putting mild pressure on the wound and soaking up the blood.
At bedtime we put gauze on it, then an ace bandage and her Thunder shirt over the top of it.
THIS MORNING (Monday):
I woke up around 6:45, rolled over to pet Lillie and her wound had soaked through lots of gauze, a huge ace bandage and her thunder shirt. I decided to take her to the emergency vet (which is also where she will have surgery) and see if they can do anything to stop the bleeding OR to have the surgery today. They explained to me that this tumor is not healthy tissue, so once it starts bleeding, it will not heal. Sadly, the surgeon would not be able to do the surgery today.
The sweet ER Dr. wrapped her up really well and she hoped this would last until tomorrow morning when we drop her off. I don’t think it will, but it’s more fashionable than what we’ve been doing. EDITED TO ADD: The cute, professional wrap made it to 3:50pm before it soaked through. 😩
This poor girl has been through hell. Please send up some good mojo, positive vibes and/or prayers to the Big Man Upstairs that her surgery is successful.
Signed, Lillie’s Tired Mom.